So last week I had my first day off in over a month. Holy. shit. Never has a day tasted so sweet.
Gabi had the same day off, so we made a plan to go to Jose Ignacio since... well, it's just what people do at first. I don't think it's actually the closest interesting place, but it is the closest beach. It's definitely not the easiest to get to.
We didn't have a secure plan for how to get there. There is one bus one of Garzon a day at 9 am that goes to San Carlos, but you get can off before then. From there, you go "a dedo" or hitch hiking for the last 15 or so kilometers to Jose Ignacio. Cars are super expensive in Uruguay so not many people have them. Only a couple people here.
Well, Gabi is not a morning person, at least not here. I tried to hurry him along in the morning since I was desperate to get the f out of here. I waited at the bus stop (it's like 2 blocks from the house) until the bus came, asked if they would wait a minute, then ran back to the house to get Gabi. Alas, as we turned the corner, we saw the bus driving away. I dropped all my things with Gabi and took off running, but I didn't stand a chance. Nothing happens on time here except that bus apparently.
But a nice lady, the owner of one of the other restaurants here El Molino saw us and stopped. She gave us a lift to the highway, passing the bus, so we could catch it there. Then we hopped on the bus for a bit, then got off at the road to Jose Ignacio. We got lucky and got a ride from the second car that came by. It was two older men going in for work. I think they were plumbers or something like that. Gabi makes conversation.
We got off at Ancap, the gas station with some stores next door. We bought some water and snacks, then got breakfast at the panaderia. Cappuccinos and pastries. Really good pan de chocolate. It has become the pastry I'm known for here.
Then we crossed the road, walked through the brush, and arrived at the lovely beach. It isn't white sand, but it's nice. The beaches are super clean too. It was a sunny day and the water is warming up, so swimming is nice. For me, the waves are a bit too big, but I got in for a bit. Spent some time reading in the sun.
Then we got lunch at a restaurant called Popei... that's Pop-eye, as in the cartoon. I don't know how or why that came to pass, but there it is. It was good, normal. Through my smoothie was very refreshing. Then we walked around for a a bit. There's really not much going on in Jose Ignacio, but it's better than Garzon.
Jose Ignacio is on a point, so you can walk across it really easily and be on the other beach. We decided to go up in the faro, or lighthouse. It was a cute little excursion and less than a dollar to go up.
Then we went back to the beach. We stopped at had a couple drinks at La Huella, the big name restaurant in Jose Ignacio. Gabi had a caipirinha, which was definitely the best one we had. It's a brazilian drink. More on the bitter side, which is often a safer bet because sweet things can be too sweet here.
Then we were on a mission to figure out how we were getting back to Garzon. The return bus wasn't an option any more (and it was never in our plan since it leaves San Carlos at 5). We had to hunt for wifi, but eventually got in touch with people in Garzon and found out a few people were coming into Jose Ignacio. We met up with them, met their other cook friend at another restaurant. Then we realized we were all hungry and got delicious burritos at Santa Teresita.
Freedom. That wonderful thing my country was founded on. It's amazing.
No comments:
Post a Comment