It’s Christmas, but it doesn’t feel like it. Everyone was up far too late and/or drank too much last night, so the morning was rough.
But it was a good party. I “talked” more with people, and am feeling more comfortable in my interactions with the ones I’m not as close with. The people I am most close with, aka the ladies, I had a good time with. Dancing with Euge, lots of hugs and drunken earnest confessions of friendship from Mai. It was sweet.
Today I was stoked to make some more ñoquis. Unfortunately, I messed them up. The dough (masa) was too soft (blando), and I could barely roll it out. Gabi tried to help, but eventually we just said ‘ciao’ to most of the dough. If I understood correctly, I used too much egg and not enough cheese. Won’t make that mistake again! It was so frustrating. However, the little bit I managed to shape cooked up alright, so not a complete loss.
After lunch, Sol asked me to make a slaw for dinner tonight, and when I finished, I could come into the kitchen. I think I’m officially now Gabi’s prep person. I helped him assemble his three plates for the few orders we had for lunch. Gabi is in charge of the ñoquis, the milanesas, and the merluza negra (fish).
It feels like a lot to remember, but at the same time, it’s not really. It’s more that I’m just so nervous about messing something up. And getting instructions in another language obviously makes it harder. There was a lot less pressure in assembling salads than in cooking meat and pasta. I know I’ll have to resign myself to messing something up badly again in order to learn.
Gabi is ridiculously patient with me, if I haven’t stressed that enough. He stays on my case to keep a cloth rag and tongs on hand at all times for touching things safely around the stove, always asks if I understand, and makes me try doing it myself before I feel ready. I don’t think he has the ability to get angry.
Oh, I haven’t mentioned this yet, but I finally saw the menu. The prices are astronomical. Like insane. I could not believe it. For the meat, ok yes, understandable, but for the veggie entradas (gazpacho will run you more than $40) …….. well, I won’t say anymore. I will make them for you, friends.
Not sure how busy tonight will be, but tomorrow, the insanity starts. I’m scared, especially if I’m going to help cook main dishes. I’m definitely not typical chef material. I like to do things slowly, purposefully. I haven’t quite gotten into the ‘sense of urgency’ stride that is needed in the kitchen. But it’s adapt or die here!
And now it’s siesta time before dinner shift.
---
Just a quick check in after dinner. I did some appetizer prep with Gabi at the beginning of the dinner shift, making an eggplant (berengena) dip and watching Gabi make a roasted beet (remolacha) dip/sauce/thing. He helped me with these things so that I could get them done faster and be in the kitchen with everyone. So I was on point to help him with the main courses during dinner service. It’s definitely higher stakes than I would like, but obviously I’m not going to say no to anything they throw at me.
Nacho Pastel has started calling it the “Cocinando con Gabi” show (Cooking with Gabi) since he explains everything very simply to the noob that is me. Gabi also doesn’t let me look at my notes. He wants me to just do it and ask questions, which is probably the best, but against my cautious nature.
The team is very very encouraging, always complementing what I do well, and understanding that they know I can do better when I do mess up. I told Gabi today that I thought it takes a special type of person to be a chef, and mimed rapid cutting and exactness. He told me he was a disaster when he first started, but that a chef just needs to be clean, fast, and organized. I told him that I am none of those things!
Tomorrow, Maira and I recommit to our more exercise and less alcohol plan!
No comments:
Post a Comment